- Video: Udonis Haslem seen ripping into Miami Heat players in 3rd quarter of Game 5
- Dwyane Wade speaks on how ‘personal’ LeBron James Lakers vs. Pat Riley Heat matchup would be
- Draymond Green latest NBA star to rave about Jimmy Butler’s style of leadership
- Video: Charles Barkley goes off on Shaquille O’Neal for comparing Goran Dragic to Chris Paul
- C.J. McCollum clowns haters who have called Jimmy Butler a ‘bad teammate’
- Miami Heat’s Goran Dragic sends personal tribute to Tyler Herro after historic performance
- Miami Heat’s Tyler Herro now has top-selling jersey in NBA after Game 4 for the ages
- Stephen A. Smith makes bold statement about potential Miami Heat-Los Angeles Lakers finals matchup
- Report: Boston Celtics consider not drafting Jimmy Butler ‘most painful miss’ in recent history
- Tyler Herro ranks above LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry and Kawhi Leonard after Game 4
Chris Silva Wholeheartedly Thanks NBA and Miami Heat for Reuniting Him With His Mother
- Updated: December 28, 2019
The emotional moment was captured on video as Silva was surprised by his team on Friday prior to its game against the Indiana Pacers.
Thank you so much to the @MiamiHEAT and everyone in it who helped with this! Thank you Adam Silver and @NBA_Africa for the funds and words can’t explain I was shook even after the game and still can’t believe it! Blessed! This is a Christmas miracle! ??? https://t.co/IXcMkfEVB6
A native of Gabon, Silva had to leave his home country in 2012 to pursue his dream of playing in the NBA. Only once had he seen his family since then.
Even after he accomplished his goal of making it to the NBA, it took the combined effort of the league and the Heat organization to bring him face to face with his mom, Carine Minkoue Obame, once again.
“The holidays also are really about being around the people you love and mostly everybody feels very grateful that you’re able to spend that quality time,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra told his team in a huddle. “But I always think about Silva. I do think about you”
At this point, Silva was probably wondering why he was singled out by his coach.
“When was the last time you saw your family?” Spoelstra asked the rookie forward.
After Silva’s reply, it was time for Spoelstra to unveil their Christmas gift.
“We have a great surprise for you,” Spoelstra said.
Obame then walked onto the AmericanAirlines Arena court to the surprise of his son, who teared up as soon as he saw her. The two embraced to the delight of his teammates and coaches.
Though he didn’t play in Friday’s 113-112 win over the Pacers, Silva was still grateful to everyone involved in the once-in-a-lifetime surprise.